Friday, December 31, 2010

Summer is here



Summer has finally arrived here, well for now anyway and it sunny, hot and sweaty. Creek weather. That's where we are heading this afternoon, to our creek, then to our friends creek a bit later (there's an abundance of creeks around here).
I worked in the vege garden this morning, trying to tame the grass, till about 11am. Then the heat caught up with me and I had to go inside and put the fans on.



This spring, Gladis (with a little help from Roddy), gave me three cute little chicks which have now grown into three handsome poults. I think the white one is a rooster. Gladis was a very good mother and I ended up putting her and her nest in the chook trackor, away from the others, for the duration, which seemed to work very well.

We also inherited two ducks via my sister, who seams to be a font of of spare poultry, Ferdinand and Marmalade. After much indecision on Marmalade's part I think she has finally decided to start sitting, luckily in her night house. Ferdy, bless his ducky heart, is being a very vigilant father, staying close to the pen, keeping watch and generally hassling anyone who comes too close.
The ducks have been a lovely presence around the place. We let them free range around the house and they are very friendly especially Ferdy who likes to give you little 'kisses' on the back of your legs as you walk around.


Till next year
Happy new year to all. Hope you all have productive and happy 2011s.



No comments: