Saturday, October 29, 2011

Down the path


I want to make an almanac for our farm. Not so much information about the weather but more about what needs to be done when, although it could evolve into all sorts of things over time. I want to be reminded that it’s time to manure the fruit trees, or when to sow seeds so they’ll be ready to plant in spring, even things like servicing the car and cleaning the gutters. I realise this could be seen as too much, perhaps too rigid or regimented, but what can I do? This kind of thing floats my boat, and rather than head down the path of self-denigration I’d rather see things in a more positive light. Having passion for what you do is so valuable and can take you to such interesting and satisfying places so I’m going to let my bright light shine. I’m going to write down when it’s time to rotate the beds in the veggie garden; when to worm the chooks; make time for going on regular adventures and when I need to prune the fruit trees.


I’m quite a compost dag at the moment. To work out the thing I was most interested in I imagined myself at a party that was really boring and wanting to go home, then just before I leave I change my mind when someone starts talking about……compost. I go to sleep reading about compost. I get a little excited when it’s time to turn my compost, to see how it is going - how hot it is, how wet it is, how broken down.


Today I had fire training but when it was finished I went and cut a trailer load of bracken to shred for my next compost. The light was beautiful, showing off the surrounding hills... and the compost. See? Dag.


“I’m grateful that I goed to Morrow’s and had a nice day.”
(Confused? Look)

1 comment:

Leigh @ Toasted said...

Not dag.

I especially love that you're gonna factor in when to go and have an adventure. Weekly I reckon.