Thursday, December 15, 2011

I've got three

I’ve been out turning my compost this afternoon. I’ve got three piles on the go at the moment. I combined two of them the other day to make room for turning the third. The two piles are the ones made with lots of shredded bracken and horse poo, not bad but not many worms and a bit woody, needing some more nitrogen to break down more. As I combined them I added the tail end of a bag of blood and bone and as there wasn’t really enough I sprinkled in a bag of sugar to attract the worms - a tip I picked up from Chris Eggert. Now the heap is heating up again and the worms are back in big numbers.


The new heap has a mountain of grass clippings, a couple of barrow loads of sawdust, some pigeon poo, and a few other special ingredients.

It

Really

Stinks

No comments: