Thursday, December 8, 2011

Peepers everywhere

There’s new life happening here. El Dorado, one of our broody hens, has hatched all three of the eggs she was sitting on, the last chick pecking its way out this morning as I write this. What better introduction to this new world than snuggled up amongst the warm fluffy breast feathers of your clucky mum? The other hen is still devotedly sitting on her clutch of six eggs, so it shouldn’t be too long before we have lots of peepers everywhere. Or am I counting my chickens before they hatch?


I harvested the potatoes the other day – such soil! Dark, moist, rich and full of worms. Big fat wrigglers everywhere. All up our five square metres yielded 45kgs of spuds– about half as much as I thought there was going to be - but big and tasty. It is interesting to see my reactions to this bounty. At first I was really disappointed, expecting more. More. MORE! But then that hard won, little voice of wisdom kicked in and I came to my senses. We’ve made some fantastic soil and grown heaps of organic spuds. Yay us. And…we discovered last year quite by accident that we could get two crops in a season. All the potatoes we missed when we harvested sprouted again and we got a second crop a few months later. So now it’s time to redo our trenches, add some more horse poo and start again.


I bought some hessian to try and store them. I’m thinking hessian to cut the light and still let air through; then something rodent proof that still lets the air in (a bird cage maybe?) and then under the house for coolth. Or perhaps our friend's house in their gimp room.

2 comments:

Jeckab said...

A breeding cage for lovebirds should be thirteen inches long and fourteen inches high and deep. Depending on the size of the other bird cage with divider, they will require breeding cages of varying sizes. It doesn't matter if the cage is specially designed for breeding, but its size is very important.

Ryan said...

I can't tell if your comment is misguided or obliquely sexual. It's a doozie though.