Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Brass Nipples

The washing machine has been broken for a long time, ever since we moved in. Useful for putting things on but to be honest I look for a little more in a washing machine. Something more sudsy. This morning the washing machine’s lucky number came up so Rob and I hauled it up to his house to have a go at fixing it.

We have very different techniques. I usually open things up, scratch my head a bit and look for something really obvious like a loose wire or the charred remains of where a part used to be. Then I usually have a go fixing it with whatever is within reach – breadknife, toilet brush, gumboot – before putting it back together hoping that somehow, miraculously I have fixed it and can now proudly go around claiming credit, trumpeting my achievement.

Rob has a different approach. He opens things up and then goes about identifying parts he knows – “hmmmm 2000 watts, that must be the heating element”, “I’d say that’s some kind of diaphragm, maybe a pressure switch” and “there’s two solanoids on the cold intake.” Then he goes and gets tools. Real tools. A multimeter. Portable soldering iron. Heat shrink. Portable heat gun. And if the soldering iron is empty he has a can of butane in the shed.

Fortunately I was able to be of some assistance in identifying the problem. My big clue was the straw, grass, leaves, feathers and rat shit filling every available space inside. Wires had been chewed everywhere so we tested the connectivity and then bypassed some of the worst bits by soldering in some new wire. (Notice how I’ve moved seamlessly to “we”?) Rob had all the bits we needed to hook it up and test it outside, including a two way adaptor for the water intake and a ¾” brass nipple, once again demonstrating his preparedness. I don’t have any brass nipples. Noah even got in on the act blasting out all the crap with the air compressor.

Now our washing machine is home again, turning and churning outside as I write this. Sudsy again.


“I’m grateful that we fixed the washing machine.”
(Confused? Look)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to know you were able to fix it right away, Ryan. Though it took you a while to fix your washing machine, it’s nice that you identified the problem and worked on it. Brass is good to use for electrical repairs such as this because they are good conductors. I repaired some of our appliances and instead of getting stainless steel screws, I preferred to get brass ones. Since then, our appliances have been functioning really well and I have never encountered a recurring problem.

Gayle Manning