Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Unlying life

My razor arrived last night. It gleams. My strop is finished and it’s on it’s way now.


More workshopping today. The morning session was held in the Beechwood Hall, a big space with painted white wallboards – barnish. It has its own permanent stage and inescapably my mind is drawn to wondering about past shows and packed houses, laughter and music. Today it was filled with talk of woody weeds, riparian zones and Barber’s pole worms. Our friend spoke on Bush Regeneration, followed by a local vet who really got me worried the more I listened to him. In a fearful state I started thinking I’ll do what it takes, anything to stop these terrible things happening to our livestock. It’s interesting that Chris and Ann don’t drench or vaccinate, instead focussing on soil health and nutrition, and the number of sick animals has plummeted, along with their vet bills. Both Em and I feel very lucky we have Chris and Ann to talk to, tapping into what they have learned, getting encouragement and advice. Helping cool, unlying life rush in.


In the afternoon we went back to the Eggert’s farm for a talk on dung beetles, unpaid workers that take dung underground into the soil profile, helping to maintain the fertility of the soil as well as discourage fly larvae. Beth showed us how to set up a dung beetle trap so I’m keen to give it a go sometime and see what we might have already. I really hope we have some as she was talking about them costing $800-1000 for a colony.

“I’m grateful that I went to preschool and did one of those special things for you Mum.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: