Thursday, July 28, 2011

Muchas smoochas


Noah’s usually asleep when I do my morning chores but this morning he woke early and came and helped me. Four big heads of broccoli were in danger of flowering if we left them any longer so we picked them.


Over my morning coffee I soaked them in salted water to get rid of any lurking bugs, then blanched them for three minutes in boiling water before putting them in ice water for three minutes, ready for the freezer. It’s the first time I’ve blanched anything for freezing. It was good to learn something new, a bit of nana-technology as our friend Amy might call it.


Next we made a cake for Sue’s birthday. Chocolate. Yummy, moist and just in time for morning tea up at the big house. Sue got a recipe book from Ange by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall of River Cottage fame. Yum.


Later I drove to our friend’s house to get some timber from under their house to make them a gate. I’m re-using some recycled floorboards they used in their granny flat. I was having a slow day, tired from waking before five, not in a rush. A cup of tea, catching up, muchas smoochas with her new little one. Noah is definitely our one and only but I’m sad we didn’t have a dozen kids, just for the baby cuddles. Swaying and crooning.


I’ve discovered a way to slow down my driving. I’ve got some CDs of Pema Chodron that I listen to in the car. It brings me back to what I’m doing and the beautiful country I’m travelling through as she talks about clear seeing and going to the places that scare you. Such good stuff and just what I need to hear at the moment. My head fills with thoughts so easily and the CDs, along with the advice from my good friend bring me back. “Just because you have thoughts in your head doesn’t mean you have to pay attention to them”.

“I’m grateful that we had a cake and went to Granny’s birthday.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: