Friday, July 22, 2011

A quick haircut


After a quick haircut this morning I went to work at a friend’s house in the valley. Handyman work. Fixing doors and steps and railings. Working with wood. A cup of tea when it rained. A dog to keep me company. It’s one of my favourite things, having a cup of tea next to me while working, dry while it rains outside. The dog was a bonus. So was the bucket of lemons I got to take home. I'm trying to get mum to make either lemon curd or a lemon meringue pie. Perhaps both. We have a lot of eggs too.


When I came home Noah and mum were in bed in the dark. Playing with torches. They told me to go away. Sure. It gave me a chance to try out my new banjo strap. The banjo is so much more fun to play standing up. I keep meaning to look for a banjo teacher nearby. Someone who can really play. Bluegrass. Fast.


We have a wood stove. A cute Jotul stove with burgundy enamel. I got it back in Fremantle, traded it for a mirror that we rescued from a house across the road that was about to be demolished. I get excited about the excess heat that it generates, more than enough to heat this small space. For our next house I’d like to get a big woodstove that we can bake in, cook on, and heat our hot water. We could even have radiators in the bedrooms. In the meantime I get a lot of joy cooking on our little stove, boiling the kettle, or heating our towels and pjs. Saving fossil fuels, saving money, using things more than once. Tonight I used the stove to heat soup and make a cup of tea.


“I’m grateful that we sleeped in the night with the light off in my bedroom”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: