Monday, July 18, 2011

Sleeping with my son

This morning started foggy, misty, hinting at rain, cool but warmer than the clear mornings. By mid-morning the sky was clear blue and it was warm in the sun. Just in time for my brother and his family who are visiting from Canberra. The weather clearing just in time for guests parallels my cleaning efforts. In a way I’m glad for guests because it forces me to clean the house, leaving a most unrepresentative sample. Which is not to say we live in filth … in fact I’m fairly sure you know exactly what I mean and there’s nothing more to say. Blogs have a little of the same feel to them as well. A bit like the Queen thinking the world smells like wet paint. I’ll try and make sure I get some muck in here.


My brother, his wife and 3 kids arrived in time for morning tea. I’m not the world’s best at entertaining but fortunately the kids were all the entertainment we needed. Running around, bouncing on the trampoline, chasing the duck, feeding the cows, holding chicks. Simple. A good way to establish an unusual relationship. Cousins. Close in kinship but not always close geographically. Noah has been looking forward to them coming even though he can’t remember them. It took about five seconds after they arrived for them to go running off together, distracted by piles of rocks and cows. Lots of running.


Later we went to the airport to meet mum. Noah hugged her tight for a long time. She’ll be here for most of the month Em is away. I’m glad she’s here. She’ll be his best friend, and she loves spending time with him. Win-win. And it’s good for me too. Good to have your mum around. Chicken soup for the soul. She’s sleeping in Noah’s bed while she’s here and Noah is in bed with me. Yes, I’m sleeping with my son.


“I’m grateful that we had a lovely dinner and that Nana’s come”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: