Thursday, July 21, 2011

Roadkill Wallaby Enchiladas


Today we said goodbye to my brother and his family. We went into town, walked along the foreshore, played in the playground, were screeched at by a tree full of corellas. I don’t see my brother much so it has been unusual that we didn’t really get a chance to talk. Mum pointed out that four kids under five just take priority. And that she raised three boys as a single mum.


Which reminds me I have to go and get the snip. I asked for a referral and was told I’d have to wait a year on public health. I would have thought that a reduction in the birth rate would be a good thing, a high priority for the government. It’s not hard, half an hour with just a local anaesthetic. Instead we have the pyramid model of supporting a large ageing population by encouraging an even larger younger generation. Five thousand dollars tax free from the government per child. A generation which eventually gets old and requires an EVEN LARGER younger generation. I thought pyramid schemes were illegal.


Joel Salatin has a book out called “Everything I want to do is illegal.” I haven’t read it but I know how he feels. We had Roadkill Wallaby Enchiladas tonight. I’m not sure if it’s illegal but it wouldn’t surprise me. Raw milk is another. You can choose to smoke cigarettes but you can’t choose to drink unpasteurised milk. I’m sure there was a good reason for these laws once but I like to think they won’t last long. Like the law in New York that states that citizens may not greet each other by putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers.


I’m expecting peak-oil to have far-reaching consequences, with the need to rethink what we eat as central to these changes. Which is part of the reason we’re here in this beautiful country. Slowly, slowly learning how to feed ourselves and our community. Slowly following our dreams and slowly making it happen.

“I’m grateful that we went to the water with the coloured rocks and had a lovely day.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: