Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tails, spines and wings


An early start this morning. The Farmer’s Market in town is only on once a month and today was the day. Unfortunately I hadn’t really thought ahead so I already had a fridge stocked with food. Mum found things to buy though, including some aniseed lemon myrtle that she used to make a tea cake. I remember my first impression when I saw the Farmer’s Market here, thinking how small it was. Emma and Angela have gone to one in Washington and were blown away - lots of organics, 150 stalls, great buskers. But it’s important to support our one and stay positive. From little things big things grow. We bought lots of cheap avocados and bananas, as well as some locally made pecorino, honey, marmalade, jam and chocolates. We also watched a cooking demonstration for a while where they used produce from the stalls at the market.


After lunch I met up with a guy to give him a quote on some work on his shed. The shed is up a side road I’ve never been up before so I was really keen to have a look. Explore the valley, see new things. The site is at the top of a hill with uninterrupted views to the north, really great. To the right was our valley, with our little house a few kilometres away somewhere, and to the left was Kindee. In the middle was the hill where our friends live and where we were expected for dinner.


Noah spent the afternoon up at their house playing with his friend. The boys decided they were nocturnal dinosaurs and got dressed up in the fantastic costumes they have there – tails, spines and wings. Over dinner we talked about the idea of setting up a LETS system for our friends in the valley, weighing up the pros and cons, alternatives, drinking yummy pear cider, eating cheesecake and tarts. Our friends have a composting toilet too and I was impressed to see they’re using bark as a source of carbon. Using what’s on hand. Then bumping down the mountain, opening gates in the cold, cold night air. Clear sky and lots of stars. One of the things I’ve learnt in life is that you don’t make your mother get out of the car to open gates in the cold and the dark and the mud. As I write this Noah is asleep in bed still wearing his costume.


“I’m grateful that we comed here to play.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: