Monday, August 8, 2011

Bury me deep

I’m very suspicious of the money dentists make. I went to the dentist today to fix a hole in my tooth and an hours work cost $275. The tooth is dead and if I go back and get a root canal it will be an extra $1100. If I get a crown it will be an extra $1800 on top of that, and I have a few teeth which have had root canals that will supposedly need crowns. To make matters worse most dentists have DVDs in their waiting rooms extolling the virtues of white teeth and cosmetic dentistry. They could be playing little messages about brushing and how to floss. The dentist I visited today took things to a new level. They had two screens in the actual surgery, one used to show me x-rays and more adverts, and the other mounted on the roof so when I was reclining in the chair I could watch a movie - had to watch a movie. They'll put ads on that screen next and earn even more money.

Today was such a busy day I forgot to take my camera with me. I went to work in Port and Mum took Noah to preschool, filling her day with chores in town before picking him up again. It’s good that she’s got to know the routines and shops now and I can just leave her to it, similar to how it was in Fremantle before we moved over.

After work I drove back into town for choir, the sky ahead lit by lightning. We sang some great songs tonight including a really nice arrangement of “Bury me deep in love” by the Triffids. One of the women in the choir brought along her father, Marinus, who was celebrating his 96th birthday without his wife who had died a few months earlier. They had been married 73 years. We sung him a few songs, including Happy Birthday, and at the end he stood in the centre of the group and we sung him “Blessed be”. It was very touching. I’m not sure, but I think he was almost in tears. I was.


“I’m grateful that I went to preschool and had a lovely day, and got some new gumboots.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: