Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Spokeshave Rob


We had frost for the second day in a row today, and I’m expecting another one tomorrow. I crunched quickly through my morning chores, getting ready for Bryony who was coming over at eight for a ride. It was refreshing having someone who knows what they’re doing, calm and confident, giving me a chance to learn a bit more. No more shenanigans from Nugget today. We rode up to the back of the block but had to turn back before the sawmill so Bryony could feed her little one. Like a yummy meal that doesn’t quite fill you up I’m looking forward to going back for more.


The postman delivered five postcards to Noah and me today, all from Em. We sat around after lunch reading them, the highlight being Noah’s 3D moving dinosaur. I snuck away to read mine by myself. Messages from far away and (compared to the regular email updates) long ago, tactile and precious. I’ve known posties who would read every postcard that they delivered. After lunch Mum and I kept on with the architraves – filling, painting, getting there, getting there.


Later I took Noah up to Sue and Rob’s to fit a new shovel handle. This is the third tool that needed a new handle this month and each time I’ve really enjoyed using the spokeshave. Rob has good tools like that, often two and both sharp. Even though it takes more time to keep everything so well maintained it does make the work a lot more pleasurable, that and having the right tool for the job. When I was done I had a big pile of long, curly shavings that looked fantastic. Too good to throw away so I added them to the sawdust bucket for the composting toilet.

“I’m grateful that we emptied the toilet and had a nice day and looked at the horizon.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: