Saturday, August 6, 2011

Coppice On

Emma called this morning, telling tales of big old barns, raw milk dairies and the Blue Ridge mountains, over by Tennessee. She’s having a good time. I wasn’t too upset about not going with her but there are times when I wish I was there.


Noah and I helped Noah’s grandad Rob cut firewood this morning. We had to clear some trees when we put the power in and they are a good source of firewood, meaning we can leave the forest untouched. We investigated the idea of having a trial plot of oil mallees established on the property a few months ago but we get too much rainfall and were deemed unsuitable. It would have meant that after the five year trial period we would have our own hectare plot of mallees that we could coppice on a rotation system. It’s a good idea and we might still do it ourselves – it’s on the list.


After lunch Noah and I went to the AGM at the local hall. Not very exciting when you’re four but Noah is getting better at amusing himself. The winds of change had blown through the association and a new president was elected, with some animosity towards the incumbent who had been in the role for fifteen years. I left with mixed feelings – excited by the new ideas and energy but also sad that someone who had voluntarily devoted a lot of their time and energy for so long left under such acrimonious circumstances. I think he deserved better.


For the rest of the day Mum and I worked on finishing the architraves in the dairy. Planing, puttying, sanding. Still so much to do but at least we’ve started. When it’s finally finished I can start on the skirting boards. I’ve been dragging my feet for a while now so it’s nice to be pushing on with it all, getting there. We were invited to dinner with Rob and Sue so we scrubbed up and went up for a delicious roast chook, followed by a baked ricotta cheesecake. Very yummy.


“I’m grateful that we went and got the wood and had a lovely day.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: