Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Old floorboards

As I write this my mum is getting serious with Noah. He’s dragging his heels at bedtime and she’s demonstrating techniques ringing bells from long ago, embellished with professional training. He’s a worthy adversary.

We hung out today. Picked oranges from the big house and made three litres of fresh juice. Mum made paneer. Picked bush lemons with Noah for the acid, curdled three litres of milk and made about 250g of cheese. Lots of leftover whey to feed to the cows and chickens. Then she made Mattar Paneer. Yummm.


Late in the afternoon Noah helped me put up architraves, closing in on the building finish line. He was actually quite helpful today. He helped pick oranges, make juice, pick lemons, collect firewood, put the duck and the chooks away, set the table, set the rat trap. Nana suggested that Noah could go and live with her. She’s got a boat. “That’d be great!” said Noah. “But won’t you miss your mum and dad?”. “Nah”.


I disturbed a little frog among the stack of old floorboards for the architraves. Maybe a Stoney Creek Frog.

“I’m grateful that I put the duck and chooks away.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: