Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Half a Gazillion

Not unlike a conjunction of planets everything aligned today spectacularly. It was the first time Emma has been home for Noah’s second day of preschool, the day that Sue and Rob take him in for. They arrived early, took him away and brought him home around four in the afternoon. How wonderful. We had a peaceful lunch together facing each other across the table, smiling and dreaming of full time school next year.


I had such a productive, pleasant day today getting little jobs done, feeling so content that nothing was able to put a dent in my mood. The rain was beautiful, inevitable. I gave my compost heap its first turn, the steaming chemistry already underway, transferring it across to the next bay, inverting and excavating. It is always so interesting to see each layer slowly break down and become incorporated into one living heap over the weeks with each turning. I turn it every three days for three weeks and then assess how it’s going. Along the way I sometimes add more water if it is too dry or nitrogen if it isn’t breaking down sufficiently. The nitrogen in this heap is cow poo. Sloppy and stinky.


In the afternoon I finished off two more architraves, the ones I worked on yesterday, nailing them up in position. They fitted really well, all except the one I made half an inch too short but I cut a tiny triangle of scrap and glued it in. A bit of putty and no-one will ever know. I went a-visiting later, looking at a new job restoring a leadlight window, picking up some timber to replace some rotten handrails, and installing a cupboard door. The hinges they’ve got won’t work but I have half a gazillion good quality European hinges that I salvaged from an old kitchen that was being thrown out at a friends house back in Freo – thanks Joe. Re-use, recycle.

The best part of my day was yet to come. Walking back home from Sue and Rob’s I met a friend on their way home from seeing Em. She’s been meaning to pick up some tile adhesive for at least three visits now and she’d forgotten again so she turned the car around and I rode on the bullbar on the front of the car. Hanging on to the timber she had strapped to the roof, nothing in front of me, the wind in my face. Relaxed, happy, exhilarated. Yeeeeehaaaar!

“I’m grateful that I went to preschool and had a nice day.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: