Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jiggety-jig

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig. Where the heart is. My Mum has gone home. Emma is home. And because Emma is home Noah and I are home too.


I remember a trip to Indonesia years ago when we went for three weeks but after two changed our tickets and went home, having had enough holiday. “A month is too long,” Em tells Noah “too long to be away from you.” We drive and talk and eat. Home things. Noah takes our picture and we go for a walk up the back of the block. I try and see the trees and hills through Em’s eyes, holding it up against places I haven’t seen and can only imagine. It’s very beautiful.


Emma has brought me a cut throat razor as a present and I’m very happy. And scared. I’ve wanted a straight razor for some time now. I like that I can reuse it, no longer needing to buy expensive blades and throw them out when they get blunt. I also like that I have to learn how to use it, and how to maintain it. Good skills. The blade is etched with “Turk MFG Co” and a quick search online tells me that the Turks are the best straight razor shavers in the world. Apparently they have it down to a science. This razor however was made sometime after 1977 by Dennis Turk’s manufacturing company in Oregon, who now make things like atmosphere-to-vacuum actuators.


Over dinner Noah asks us, “Should we build a house for Nana and Pop? A bit more closer to us. So I can get up, go outside and see her every day.” He’s called Emma “Nana” twice so far.

“I’m grateful that I raced to Mum and had a big cuddle and saw the airplane.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: