Saturday, August 13, 2011

Enjoying whatever

I often get overwhelmed by how much there is to do. I’ll be starting to build Ange and Ken’s house soon, still waiting on a few approvals and maybe a little more cash; I’m also expecting delivery of about 25 poles any day now for the new covered orchard that we’re going to put in just below their house (When I say “any day now” it’s only because I’ve been waiting since April); I have a couple of jobs on the go – building, handyman work, and the occasional bit of book-keeping; there’s the dairy to finish; a new milking shed needs to be built within the next year or so; I’ve got plans for the garden; the caravan needs to be finished; the shack needs to be re-organised and one day renovated; the car needs servicing; there’s compost to make… I’m going to stop there.

On top of all this I still need to make time for family and friends, music and riding, exploring and just lazing around. I think there’s so much to do because this isn’t a fourth generation family farm, instead we’ve just moved here eighteen months ago. I imagine one day there will be time for swinging in hammocks but I can’t even smell it yet.


So I lower my eyes and focus on what is in front of me. Fertilising the garden. Doing the washing. Mixing minerals for the cow’s stock lick. Routing and planing architraves. Helping Mum with the painting. Entertaining Noah. Cooking. If I can just keep hold of the idea of enjoying whatever I’m doing I’m going to have a ball, but saying ain’t doing. Gillian Welch sings to me as I drive up to Sue and Rob’s, “Hard times ain’t gonna rule my mind, no more”. It’s my favourite.

“I’m grateful that we had a nice day and I help you did the architraves.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: