Monday, August 1, 2011

Out of waldorfs

This morning mum took Noah into preschool, leaving me time to sit and drink my coffee and take it easy. Eventually I worked up enough energy to go and finish off the gate I have been working on. I enjoyed making it, reusing old floor boards, squaring up an old verandah post and slicing it up for the frame, using some old brass screws I have had sitting in an old tomato tin for years. I also had a chance to experiment with adding a bit of ornamentation, an idea I’ve had in the back of my mind for years. I added a few cut-outs between palings, in this case creating the silhouette of some wrens. I was worried about the whole thing being a bit twee so I kept the top square, deliberately steering away from any more cute finishes, trying to maintain some balance. I’m happy with it, and importantly so is my friend.


Later I made some butter, making sure to keep the buttermilk. Mum has found a recipe for crème fraiche using cream and buttermilk so we might give it a go. We’re still getting through the leftovers from Bev’s party – kebabs, dips, Waldorf salad (and there was I thinking we were just out of waldorfs) - so I turned the kebabs into a rogan josh, along with some fresh coriander from the garden. Yummmmm.


Mum came back just in time for me to head off to choir, so I left Noah to show her how to put the duck and the chooks away and headed off. I’m really enjoying choir. Having done a lot of learning in my life I’m quite relaxed taking on something new. I know I’m going to get it, it’s just a case of putting in the time and it will all come together. At these early stages I follow the little black dots across the page, little clues that we’re about to go up or down, a chance to grab a breath. Our choir leader Elly is great – positive, energetic, talented. Patient. She gets around singing the different parts for each section, urging us to sing with more feeling. She’s got the best vantage point, in the middle with everyone facing her. Even from where I stand there are moments when it sounds great. In the middle of singing “Dance me to the end of love” by Leonard Cohen I was struck by the beauty of the lyrics. And to top it off it was being sung in four part harmony. With feeling.

“I’m grateful that I went to preschool and had a lovely day.”
(Confused? Look)

No comments: